Tuesday, October 21, 2008

in the news

This is a bit redundant if you frequent the Runner's World website, but it definitely caught my eye: apparently, the person with the fastest time (her name is Arien O'Connell) at the Nike Women's Marathon in San Francisco didn't win. (story here and here)

Can I just say that I'm not surprised that yet another Nike race ended up being chaotic? (in fact, the word "clusterf#%*k comes to mind) As you may remember, I was involved in a Nike race in August and was anything but impressed. And as a follow-up to the Ottawa race, I spoke to someone who ran it and the course was so poorly marked that she ran an extra 2K or so in the middle before re-finding the route. I'm thinking that Nike should get their crap together before staging more disasters.

While theoretically the fastest person not winning could happen in ANY race, most races state VERY CLEARLY that the first person to cross the line is the winner. As well, at most races, the "elites" start at the same time as the rest of us, but they just start at the front. I actually have no idea if there were clear rules stated about the race in SF, but the website seems to be anything but helpful.

I haven't read all of the comments on the Runner's World story, so this may have been discussed to death, but what do you think? I think that she should at least be recognized in some way...even if it is just a story on the official website saying "hey, we had the real race before the race for the masses...and guess who ended up with the fastest time? one of YOU."

Regardless, congrats on your 2:55 marathon Arien O'Connell. I hope you at least get some free Nike gear.

(and for the record, if you check out the official timing results here, it seems to put things in a different order than Nike's "declared" winner)

1 comment:

Frayed Laces said...

everyone in my running Ohana is talking about this. Unfortunately, its just a result of disorganization with the race directors. At least the woman is being civil about it.