Monday, September 15, 2008

weather's good there in the fall

Fall.
For whatever reason, when the chill starts in the air and the leaves are suddenly at my feet instead of overhead, I start to get a little home sick. I start missing the smell of poplar leaves and the way the Alberta sun hits the yellow leaves. I want to have one of those perfect Calgary fall days where the sun warms you to the core (through your sweater of course) and the air smells just right.
Maybe it is because I left in the fall, after two glorious weeks of perfect autumn weather...maybe that's why this time of year makes me miss it. Perhaps fall reminds me of being a kid and of new school years and just makes me think of the past. Maybe fall in Ottawa reminds me that an Ottawa winter is just around the corner.
Or maybe it is Ian Tyson's fault and I just can't seem to get that lyric out of my head.

Regardless of the reason for missing "home", I'm glad I'll be heading back out to Alberta soon- to see it in the fall.

(but before that...TORONTO. yes-I will finally be taking my first ever trip to Toronto. Now people can stop making fun of me)

6 comments:

Frayed Laces said...

:( HAwaii doesn't get fall. We get rain---or no rain. I miss the crisp leaves of autumn!

K said...

While fall might be my favourite season, I'd give up a few years of it if it meant going without snow for those same years. But yes, I would miss the crunchy leaves.

kris said...

I love the fall because it doesn't make me sweaty.

Kirst said...

It wasn't feeling so fall like yesterday with the 27 degrees. I too like fall. It always reminds me of having my babies. It's such a cozy feeling season.
I can't wait to see you soon! Woohoo!

Heather said...

Calgary BARELY has a fall, but it's still nice here. One day it's summer and one day it's winter. I'm excited for our trip to Toronto too.

lu said...

i can completely understand the pining for home during autumn. there is something about canada (and calgary specifically) in the fall that cannot be matched anywhere else in the world.