Monday, June 16, 2008

for those of you who don't have a washer and dryer

Few things are more frustrating than having to share laundry facilities. Especially in my building because:
a) It is full of students. (I'm not saying that ALL students are inconsiderate, but many are still in places in their lives where they are mostly thinking about themselves)

b) The hall and downstairs (and often our apartment) smell like cigarettes due to the basement dwelling chain smokers

c) I have to carry laundry (and myself) up and down 4 flights of stairs to do said laundry. If an inconsiderate fellow tenant has left their wet laundry (and no basket) in the washing machine for more than an hour, this involves at least 5 extra trips up and down the stairs to see if the washing machine is finally empty.

I'm sick of it. SICK OF IT. I want my own washer and my own dryer and I want to be able to do my laundry whenever I want. I want to be able to "fluff" a shirt or a pair of jeans in the dryer for 3 minutes if I want to. I want to be able to do my laundry without having to be obsessive about the time so that I don't inconvenience someone else (which apparently I shouldn't be so obsessive about because they don't care about my convenience).
One day. One day I will do laundry with pleasure.
Until that day, I'll try to stop myself from slaughtering someone by writing passive aggressive notes.

3 comments:

Heather said...

If having your own washer means watching it fill up and out with water without being able to stop it, IT IS NOT WORTH IT. Trust me.

If it means having a cute little stackable washer and dryer like Papa, then it is. Only if you get the Papa with it though, who will wash, fold and hang your laundry for you.

Kirst said...

I will say that I do not take our washer and dryer for granted. I'm not sure I could do the communal (sp?) laundry thing.

lu said...

i never thought about not being able to fluff your pants in the tumble dryer, such a pain. i know passive agressive notes all too well though!

best of luck in dealing with the communal washing facilities. i suggest you import a housekeeper to handwash!