Tuesday, March 04, 2008

good news. well...sort of

Good news for people like me.
According to this article, the big toe plays a factor in sports performance. Apparently, a big toe that is larger than the second toe is advantageous for things like pushing off in various sports and is perhaps indicative of a "natural athlete". Now that I know this, I'll have to embrace my inner natural athlete because do I ever have a big toe.

If I had the guts and if our camera was a little less cranky, I would post a picture of my foot so that you could really get an idea of how long my big toe is. Instead, here is my foot in numbers:
Total length from heel to tip of big toe: 9 inches/22.8cm
Total length of big toe: 2.5 inches/6.35cm
Total length of second toe: 1.5 inches/3.8cm
Yup, an entire inch.

I'm not so sure they were taking into account that kind of differential when they were studying this big toe business.

On a side note to this- the article mentions that most people's second toes are longer than their first. I had no idea. Which is bigger on your foot?

9 comments:

Sandra said...

My big toe is bigger than my second toe by 1/4 inch. I think that's quite an admirable differential, although my athletic ability leaves plenty to be desired. I have been made fun of for how big my big toe is though(I definitely would beat you in the width category I expect). I was at a party once, during flip-flop season, and a rather drunk colleague could not stop pointing and laughing at my toes. His girlfriend (which we were meeting for the first time) felt so bad about this that she promptly removed her socks to show us her webbed toes just to make me feel better. So weird!

lu said...

oh, i am of the second-toe-longer variety and is it ever longer! does this mean i am not good at sports?!

feet are so weird, including mine. and since i share an office, i won't whip off my shoe and break out the ruler to measure!

Kirst said...

I too am part of the second toe longer group. And also my third toe is bigger than my big toe. What does that mean? I guess Us second toers will just have to try harder at sports.:)

kristen said...

you second toers are apparently geniuses though.

and i fear my sarcasm about be being a natural athlete didn't quite translate...but seriously, now that i KNOW i'm a natural, i feel more athletic by the second...(are you second toers feeling smarter by the second?)

kris said...

Thank you for not posting a picture - I hate looking at feet.

Kirst said...

I don't feel any smarter. Although having 3 kids I think zaps the smarts.

lu said...

oh yes, much smarter...

i have also heard that the second toe longer people also are more likely to be crazy.

Sandra said...

Whew! Good to know I'm not likely to be crazy, although my class of 30 teenagers may have thought so when I pulled out the ruler to measure my toe differential. (Lu, sharing an office is no excuse!) At least I left my sock on:)

Heather said...

I also am glad you didn't show a picture, though I've seen your foot AND big toe too many times to count. My second toe is ALMOST the same length as my big one.

I'm glad I don't have a big ole toe, no offense Kristen, but I'd rather not have geese chase me around thinking my toe is food. I'm just sayin'...