Thursday, January 24, 2008

taking the plunge

I "broke" my knee in 1999. I had an unfortunate incident with a prop that tipped with me on it and as I fell to the floor, I knew that the torque I had felt in my knee was not going to result in good times. Watching it swell to the size of my head (ok, that's an exaggeration, but that's what it felt like) in then next 30 seconds confirmed that "oh no" feeling in the pit of my stomach.

A couple of surgeries and 9 years later, I generally don't think about it much (unless I'm looking at the scar that runs down my leg) and I do pretty much everything I used to...and more. Except for one thing: I haven't been skiing since about a month before that oh so fateful day. (not that i'm being dramatic or anything) UNTIL NOW. (ok not right now) I'm in the process of planning a ski trip to Vermont. And I have to say, I'm a little nervous about the skiing part. I'm sure it will all be fine...but it has been so long, that I think it is going to be kind of nerve wracking. Luckily, the Green Mountains are a little less intimidating than the Rockies.

3 comments:

Kirst said...

Oh how fun! I haven't been skiing in I don't know how many years. Just take 'er easy at first. I'm sure everything will be fine. Will you be participating in some snowboarding?

Dr. Dan said...

I SO understand your anxiety about this. I have a fair amount of it regarding you and your knee (along with a little anger, still-after-nine-years. I trust that the skiing is at a hill where I might know (or be related to) the general manager(???). That happens to be one of my favourite places to ski in the east. I have ONLY skiied there the year you were just a little tike and we were in Vermont for Christmas. If it is as I remember, you have nothing to worry about other than taking your own speed. It is truly a lovely mountain with everything you can imagine from VERY green to double black diamond. Something about skiing in the east (other than watch for ICE) is that it loves the skier. Out here, it loves the mountain.

Evey said...

Oh Vermont....thats kinda in my neck of the woods. I love it up there.