Monday, June 04, 2007

rats

I have an intense dislike for rodents, especially rats. They are ugly and creepy and that tail sends shivers up my spine. One of the great things about living in Alberta was that it is, in theory, a rat-free province. The only rats allowed are in universities and other research facilities. (and unfortunately, I had to partake in a class that involved handling a rat at an alberta university...but that is an entirely different story)
Here in Ontario, you can have them as pets. Twice last week, I saw the same girl walking around with her pet rat hanging all over her shoulder. Both times it freaked me out.
Jordan hopes she becomes a fixture in the neighbourhood just so he can see me squirm.

seriously though...why would you want a rat as a pet? it isn't cute, isn't cuddly...i don't get the appeal.

9 comments:

Dee said...

That's it. It's final. You guys should just pack up and move back to the land of no rats!

ps - I miss you!

Kirst said...

Here, here! You guys moving back would be awesome.
And I wouldn't want a rat as a pet either.

lu said...

hahahaha, i have memories of that course and the rat lab, the skinner boxes, and our ta who sort of resembled a rodent herself.

--Nathan-- said...

i've always thought rats were pretty cool.. not so much the sewer dwelling ones (except Spinter) but the nice clean ones.

.. all a matter of opinion i suppose

kris said...

I had a pet rat when I was a kid. I got it from a pet store. It pooed down my cousins back then bit him so it went back to the store.

Then my cousin got me one from his friend who bred rats. It was a great pet, they're very intelligent. And cute. Penelope was an albino.

kristen said...

kris...my stomach is turning just thinking about your pet rat.

for the record, i also dislike hamsters, guinea pigs, mice, gerbils...anything rodent, rodent-like and that lives in a cage. whilst i admit that bunnies can be cute with their floppy ears, you'll never see one in my house.

--Nathan-- said...

isnt the Pug the "rat" of the dog world?

K said...

nathan, i think you're thinking of the chihuahua...

Evey said...

My questions is WHY would you want something so disgusting and filthy as a pet? Weird people!