Wednesday, May 23, 2007

friends don't let friends...

As I was on the bus this afternoon, I noticed a younger -very pregnant- woman hanging out with her friends. Most of them were smoking and joking around. At first, she was not smoking. Then, her friend lit a cigarette, took a few drags and handed it off to the pregnant friend. I cringed a little inside.
Even if I did smoke, I'm not sure I could hand a lit cigarette to my pregnant friend knowing she was going to smoke it. I think I'd have to let her do it herself...while I'd still be opposed to it, at least I wouldn't actually be condoning it. But at the same time, is watching her smoke really all that different?

5 comments:

Kirst said...

It's really quite sad how often I've seen somebody who is pregnant smoking. I've never smoked so I don't know how hard it is to stop but I know I don't want my baby around that. It's also surprising the number of people that think it is okay to drink too whils being pregnant. I just don't get it.

Evey said...

I smoked for 12 years but I know for a fact that had I ever been pregnant while I smoked I would have stopped in a heartbeat. I think too many people think the effects won't ever happen to them or their baby.

lu said...

watching someone do it is different. i mean, what can you do? it is that person's choice. i absolutely disagree with it but i can't make someone else change their mind to see things the way i do. being a good friend and not handing her a cigarette might be one method of attempting to get her to stop though.

thephoenixnyc said...

Hmmm, seems very white trash. Was she downing a Pabst Blue Ribbon as well?

lu said...

or just very sad, regardless of ethnicity.