Tuesday, April 10, 2007

what would you do?

I'm sure most of you have heard about the cruise ship that sank off the coast of Greece. What I didn't read at first was this story: link.

What caught my attention the most was the girl talking about how she punched someone out for a life jacket and how in her opinion, the 40 year old man should clearly have volunteered to give his up for a 17 year old.

I'm not sure how I feel about that. Firstly, maybe the 17 year old can swim and the 40 year old can't. Maybe the 40 year old is a father and doesn't want his child to grow up without their father. Maybe he should give it up because he has had 40 years of life as opposed to only 17. Which life has more value? Can we possibly make that call?

Would I have punched someone in a fight to get their life jacket? I'm not sure.
Would I have bragged about it to the CBC? Absolutely not.

3 comments:

Devo said...

In my opinion she was an idiot, granted this may have been due to stress and the situation. Would she have punched a 40 year old woman? It's not like she gave the life jacket to a small child, she and her friends are obviously at an age where they can take care of themselves, without the rash behaviour.

fuzzy wuzzy said...

I also was upset with the punching situation, not just once but it happened twice. Apart from being self centered, it also looks like Canadians are brutes.

Evey said...

I apparently live in a box because this is the first I heard of this shipwreck. that aside.....

Punching him in the face. That is beyong me. That in my mind is total disregard for the life of another, deciding yours is more important and his is not because of his age. I am with Devin, had it been a small child, then yes. But she is near being an adult.

Craziness!!