Saturday, March 31, 2007

oh the disappointment

Although I live within minutes of the parliament building, my politician sightings seem to be few and far between. Well, I suppose that could be a lie- it is possible that I see a lot of back-benchers and faces you don't normally see in the news- but for the most part, I see very few of the "big names".

So imagine how exciting it was to be sitting on Bank street as parliament let out...we looked out the window and there walked Michael Ignatieff (wearing a jaunty looking hat). Of course, the first words out of my mouth were "Heather, get that cellphone ready...'cause if Jack Layton walks by, I'm going to try to take a picture through the window".
Fast forward a few hours...

Jordan and I were leaving H-mo's hotel. As we walked down the street, I noticed a group of Japanese business men chatting it up, wearing some ID badges and I wondered if they were a tour group. Behind them walked a couple. I was looking at the woman and she looked vaguely familiar, but I couldn't quite place her (and I didn't want to stare).
After we passed them, Jordan looks toward me with this expectant look on his face. I, of course, had no idea why he was looking at me like that. He says "you really didn't see who that was did you?". Yup...we walked right by Jack Layton and I DIDN'T EVEN SEE HIM. I was too busy looking at his wife.

I had a little bit of a hissy fit right then and there. How on earth could I have missed him and why wasn't I alerted?!?! We now have an agreement that if he sees Jack Layton again and he's not sure I've noticed, he must risk making a fool of himself and actually come out and tell me what is going on so that I don't miss it.

Would I have actually said anything to him? I don't know. But the spontaneous sighting would have been at least a little bit fun. I'll just have to console myself with the fact that I was just a few centimeters away.

5 comments:

Evey said...

So I realize the question I am about to ask might make everyone aware of my stupidity but who is Jack Layton? Now in my defense I don't live in Canada anymore and even when I did I didn't care about politics. So yeah? Who is he? Is he hot?

kristen said...

Jack Layton is the leader of the national NDP. He is not hot at all, but harnesses all of his power into his moustache. Being the lefty that I am, (though even I'm not convinced the NDP could lead the country- they'd be a good opposition) my goal in Ottawa is to have my picture taken with him.

(PS- Michael Ignatieff is the deputy leader of the Liberal Party)

Dee said...

You should have chased him down the street when you realized who he was....and then stroked his moustache in an attempt to share in the power!

I don't think I would recognize wife, she's not plastered everywhere like he is.

I agree that the NDPs are probably a better opposition than leaders of the country. I love their ideals, but we'd probably rack up lots of debt like BC did with the NDP government....Go lefties!

Dee said...

I meant to say 'would be' a better opposition. Not 'are'.

liz said...

just for the record - I for one love Olivia Chow whereas I am largely indifferent to Mr. Layton.