Monday, February 05, 2007

project 2: the 10K

There are people who are runners and there are people who aren't. There are people who can't imagine running 10K and there are people who can roll out of bed in the morning and without really any training, just go out there and run a 10K race. I am married to one of the latter. Sure, he was sore as heck the next day, but he has been known to do the Mother's Day run (which is a 10K) with little to no training.

I, on the other hand, have never been a runner. I started training for a 5K a few summers back and ended up with a stress fracture in my ankle. Even when I was in probably the best shape I've ever been in (I had 4 hours of dance classes on Tuesdays and on Thursdays, a 3 hour colourguard rehearsal each week and miscellaneous other rehearsals), I wasn't a runner.

Despite that, I've set a goal to run the 10K during the Ottawa Race Weekend. I know it is no marathon, but to me it is a big deal. I've never trained for anything like this before and I've never run that far EVER. (and i got a little defensive when someone called it "the lazy person's race")

I found myself a training plan, I bought myself a good pair of shoes (that my have been one of my problems when i tried last time) and I'm ready to go. I had my first run today...1.5 miles (or 2.4 ish kilometers) and I made it. The last .1 or so was a little rough, but I had my tunes and I was determined to do it.

So, barring any unforeseen circumstances (injury being the most likely), I'll be running my first 10K race on May 26th. The next day, I'll be cheering on Jordan as he runs his first marathon. I guess we'll be buying a lot of pasta in the spring.

6 comments:

--Nathan-- said...

yaaaa, thats so great! ten km is still ten km... and for a self professed "non-runner" thats a great goal to have.

to run 2.4 on your first run is quite impressive, pretty well a quarter of the way... just think for jordan a quarter of his race is roughly 10km... coincidence i think not.

i think the 10 k for a non runner is about the same as a marathon for a runner. but you may want to be careful, by the end of your training you might actually enjoy running. GOOD LUCK.

lu said...

oh this is a most exciting project!

and i am a natural non-runner who loves running, so it is possible.

have you considered joining a group? i started with the running room a few years ago and it really worked to get me believe i could do it and to actually enjoy the process. an ipod helps too! just watch where you put it when you run...

you will do great! and good shoes do make all the difference.

lu said...

and ps, thank you for the card!

Kirst said...

I would like to know who called the 10k the lazy mans race. Whatever. I don't think there is such a thing as a lazy mans race. A lazy mans race would be seeing how long one could sit on a couch. I think it is fabulous that you have a 10K goal. Good for you. Good luck with the training.

kristen said...

Thanks for the encouragement. I know that the "lazy" comment was mostly a joke...but I guess I was a little upset because it feels like a lot of running to me. Thicker skin...

Anyway, my second run is today and I think it will be harder than the last one. I'm sore from my strength class...and probably a little from the running.

Lara- I'm hoping to put some mini eggs in the mail tomorrow.

Heather said...

You are a star. And seriously folks, she isn't a big runner at all. Now, for a non-runner to convince another non-runner to do a 10k race with her is a HUGE accomplishment. Maybe I'll have to cut down on the drinking...