Sunday, November 05, 2006

first snow

Well, it is snowing. When I first looked out the window this morning, there were those little tiny flakes that barely count as snow. Now they are bigger and there are way more of them. I guess winter hath begun. Booo.

In a totally unrelated thought, when I was at Starbucks yesterday, it was really busy. There was a long line to order and a long line waiting for drinks. As I watched the poor barista struggle with cutting open milk bags, I thought "I wonder if they are more efficient in places where the 4L milk jugs are the norm". If you think about it, the Starbugs baristas here have to worry about opening a new milk bag every Litre...whereas the baristas in Calgary just need to worry every 4L. Plus, they don't have those pesky bags to worry about.
Yeah, I'm a bit of a dork.
(and i really enjoyed my first tall, non-fat, no whip, two pump, gingerbread latte sans Christmas cup of the season)

8 comments:

The Postman said...

Milk bags suck. I hated them when we lived in Hamilton. I still hate them even though we live in Calgary and we don't have to deal with them.

I was told that they are more sanitary than cartons or jugs. I don't believe that. Once it's open, it's open. You can't close the opening. What kind of crap is getting in there? Maybe that's why I was so sick when we lived out there. No that can't be the reason because I don't drink milk. I think we were sick from the mold that was on the ceiling of our bathroom.

Kirst said...

I'm not sure I can have a gingerbread latte sans Christmas cup. It might not taste the same. I can't wait to have one myself. Maybe today.

Kirst said...

I just got back from Starbucks. After reading your post I wanted a festive drink. The barista told me that they can't start serving them till Wednesday. I am so disapointed. I really wanted an eggnog latte. Oh well I guess I have to wait.:( Maybe I will get it in a Christmas cup though.

lu said...

wait, there are no 4L jugs of milk in ontario? and no bottle depots? and no 'stepped in a big puddle and got my foot wet'? it is like a foreign country over there!

although i am not jealous of the snow and cold in your neck of the woods, i am sincerely jealous of the egg not latte, christmas cup or not.

Anonymous said...

In defense of the bags, way less waste when you are finished and probably less resources, energy, etc to produce them. Overall, significantly less impact on the environment I figure. There's always a bright side to everything:) Sandra

Joy & Darrin said...

I could never get the first pour from a milk bag to not spill. Then again, I always spill the first pour from the giant 4L jugs too.
Meh...

--Nathan-- said...

hmmm, good point sandra... but are you sure? im not disagreeing but you cant recycle the bags plus they only hold a litre... do they still have less impact on the enviroment than the larger 4L jugs that can be recycled? im genuinely wondering.

fuzzy wuzzy said...

Nathan why can't you recycle the bags? They are plastic and you just have to rinse them out first. They also are good for things in the house. Just ask your Mom, she used them for recipe covers.