Monday, September 04, 2006

randoms...

So apparently I can only muster the blogging once a week. Perhaps it will get better, perhaps not. But here is what I've got for you today:

-Steve Irwin died...sting ray to the heart. I was never a big fan of the show, but it caught me off guard to see that this morning.

-I've decided that one of the rudest bus behaviours is to keep your bag on the seat next to you when the bus fills up. It is one thing to leave it there when the bus is mostly empty. But when you see that it is starting to fill up, you should move your bag. No one should have to come and stand next to you and look at you, then your bag because then THEY feel like the jerk for asking you to move your stuff even though you are the inconsiderate one.

-You can listen to "Sexy Back" about 37 times between Montreal and Ottawa. I know this because I was witness to it. I STILL have it in my head. The most annoying part? The "are you ready."

-I made chowder for the first time. I think it was a little bland...any ideas of what spices go well in chowder?

-I'm really not looking forward to winter. I hope that fall lasts forever. The slush and the salt drives me nuts.

That is all for today...have a good labour day.

12 comments:

Kirst said...

There's a good clam chowder recipe in one of the best of bridge recipe books. I made it last Tuesday. It's not really creamy but the guys said they liked it. I miss you guys. I think the count down will begin soon to when we see you next.

--Nathan-- said...

i never feel bad for asking the dude to move his bag... or the punk teenager to move his feet, or the older lady to move her groceries.

The thing i hate about public transit is when the person goes to sit next to you... they actually sit half on you. pretty creepy/annoying.

kris said...

It's hard to believe that after all the animals he rangled he gets killed by a sting ray. Think of how many tourists go swimming with them every year. It's even more sad since he had a young family.

erin said...

My mum puts bacon in her chowder. Bacon makes anything taste good.

Hez said...

Bacon does make everything taste better. I have to agree with that.

Anonymous said...

mmmmmmm, bacon

Homer

K said...

Said chowder was from a best of bridge book (though i don't think it was the one you made kirst...this was a crab and corn chowder) and it did involve bacon, but perhaps 4 slices was not enough. It was so darn bland...I'll take a look at that other chowder and see what other chowders are out there. If nothing looks like it suits my fancy, I'll stick to the "regular" soups.

mmmm.....bacon
-Eric Forman (re-iterated by Donna in another episode)

Hez said...

Which, I might add, was one of the funniest lines Donna ever said. Man that was funny.

Devo said...

Ahh the bland chowder blues. My not so expert advice would be a few different things. 1.A good stock. Whether it's fish, chicken or vegetable. 2. Seasoning. Salt and pepper all throughout the cooking process, just be careful with store bought stocks as they can be salty. 3. Bay leaves, thyme and coriander. Coriander is great in both chicken and fish applications. 4. Bacon is definitely good.

K said...

even in a creamy chowder (the stock, not the herbs and spices)?
definitely good to know.
I will let you know how the next chowder turns out (whenever that may be).

Devo said...

Even a creamy chowder needs a good flavour base. I would still use a stock for a creamy soup, it not only adds more flavour than just milk or cream but it makes it a little more healthy than just cream. The stock gets thickened and it gets cream and milk added to make it nice and rich.

K said...

and there was the problem with my chowder...not a good flavour base. thanks for the help!