Thursday, July 13, 2006

the bus isn't always bad

I was on my way home from work on Tuesday and I was sitting next to a lady who was on the bus with her four kids. The two middle kids were sitting right in front of us and I figure they were about 5 and 7 (maybe 4 and 6?). They were discussing whether they were going to have pizza or MacDonald's for dinner.
The "votes" were tied, so the mother got to cast the tie-breaking vote (plus it was her birthday so she should get to decide anyway...which is strange, because it was also my birthday that day). She decided on MacDonalds and then mentioned "besides, you don't get a toy with pizza". The joy on their faces as they realized they got a toy, and a drink, and THEIR OWN BAG with their dinner was astounding. They both had the biggest smiles and then started to dance in their seats.
I couldn't help but laugh.

When do we lose that? Or do we still have it, but it takes just that much more to make us "dance in our seats" excited?

2 comments:

--Nathan-- said...

i personally still "chair dance" and love when i see others chair dancing.

kris said...

I think some of lost it when we realized what those burgers are actually made of. I still get pretty excited when someone buys me a chocolate bar or pop, I'm just not very expressive.