Thursday, November 17, 2005

patience

I have some. Perhaps not enough.

I'm going a little crazy with the job situation. I'm kind of stuck. Apparently, the Ottawa job market is a pretty tough one. There are many government jobs, but being governmental and all, apparently they don't exactly work quickly. They also have this crazy new online recruiting system. There are lots of non governmental organizations...but jobs seem to be few and far between. Plus there's the whole "it's who you know" business and unfortunately, I know very few people.

On the other hand, I am more than happy to take a part-time retail type job just to get some money and get myself out of the house. But they are currently hiring seasonal people and really need people around Christmas. I won't be here from December 23-January 2...some of the busiest days in retail. And really, who's going to give the seasonal people the holidays over the long timers? (and the one place who did interview me didn't even call back after the interview to at least tell me they didn't want to go with me...I called them and my messages weren't returned. As Stephanie Tanner would have said: "how rude")

So I feel like I'm between the so called rock and hard place. I think I'll start checking out the temp agencies...

4 comments:

Dr. Papa said...

Courage, mon ange.....I almost took a management trainee position at Birks when I got my offer for a teaching position. I still shrink in horror of the summer camp when I had 25 little preschooler-boys in the dressingroom because I was the only male. We missed pool time, but we finally got changed....

Rocks and hard places are damned uncomfortable places to be. Dress warmly and know that you are loved, honoured and appreciated even if we don't have jobs to give you. Something will turn up and you will laugh again. Hard to believe right now.

Try the temping agencies. Why not? You might find that you can pick and choose what, when, and where.

In the meantime, you still have some things to which you can look forward. Besides, you don't have to do any exams like someone else we know....

Love you!

Chrissy & Brian said...

My aunt owns a tea shop in Ottawa. I think it is somewhat close to the bridge where you go over to Hull and the museum. Is that anywhere near you? I can give her a call if you want...

K said...

Chrissy,
We're actually quite close to both of the bridges that cross over into Hull. Let me know the name of her shop (ooh, i hope it's a "shoppe") and I try to frequent it for tea.
Perhaps you can find out if she does need any extra help...I figure everything is worth a try.

lu said...

i don't have anything brilliant to suugest but to say that i too have been there and that i also suffer from a lack of patience. enjoy your tea at the tea shoppe and take one small moment every day to enjoy your retirement.