Friday, October 28, 2005

but i hate j-walkers...

I'm turning into one of those people I hate: A j-walker. I think I've done it almost every day since I got here. People don't wait for the lights here, they just don't. And it's hard not to do it when there are no cars coming and everyone else is crossing...(I'm sorry Mum. I know you taught me better than this, I won't do it when I'm "home" I promise).
The bonus here though is that the drivers are not quite as freaked out about the pedestrian laws as they are in Calgary. In Calgary, cars will stop for a j-walker because they are so afraid of getting the $300 "failing to yeild to a pedestrian" ticket that they will cause a pile-up trying to brake for a pedestrian who does NOT have the right of way. Here, the motorists will speed up and try to take you out even when you as a pedestrian DO have the right of way.
This is how I am justifying my new habit...the motorists just don't care.

8 comments:

kris said...

I'll take ON j-walkers over AB "There's-a-sign-by-the-side-of-the-road-so-I'll-just-mosey-on-out-in-front-of-4-lanes-of-60k/hr-traffic-and-expect-the-world-to-come-to-a-standstill" anyday.

I still find AB pedestrians very annoying. I'm in a car people, why do you insist on playing chicken with me?

Hez said...

J-Walking!!!! I am appalled! People I walk with get so annoyed when I won't cross, even if the hand is flashing... I will cross if and only if there's a walking man! That's what Safety City and Mum taught me!

Mind you, I find that a lot of cars in Calgary don't see the pedestrians (or peds, as my tran teacher calls them) and never let them cross... it's kind of scary to take that first step onto the road not knowing if a bus is blocking you from the sight of other cars...

K said...

your tran teacher eh?

Hez said...

yes, my tran teacher... as in TRAN 301, also known as Transportation... Would you have said Psychology, or just PSYC?? I think Psyc.

Yes, I know I'm making fun of her for abbreviating while I abbreviate... The ironing is delicious.

K said...

oh no...i meant as in tranny teacher...you know...like transvestite 301?

Hez said...

I ended up dropping transvestite 301 since I didn't have one of the pre-requisites.
















I tried to be funny... did it work?

K said...

it only worked because it is 3am...that is funny only at 3am. (you'll have to work a little harder if you want to be funny earlier in the day)

Anonymous said...

I miss seeing you guys on Sundays!
I hope everything is going well for you.
Char