Tuesday, July 26, 2005

i usually do help people...i promise

To preface the story, I was exhausted yesterday. Just exhausted. Much as I am today. I feel like I’m having trouble just keeping my eyes open. I barely want to move because it will waste valuable energy. So yes, that is how I was feeling yesterday as this happened. (not that it's an excuse)

I was sitting outside, eating my lunch, reading a magazine and enjoying the sunshine. I was sitting in a chair, because I figured if I was on the lawn somewhere I would fall asleep. I looked up because I saw something fluttering toward the ground about 5 feet from me. It was a $5 bill and I could see what I was assuming to be its owner walking down the stairs and putting distance between she and her $5 quite quickly. So what did I do? Nothing. I was thinking to myself, I wonder if she knows she dropped her money? Why isn’t that guy over there, who also saw this and is much closer to her saying anything? Why aren’t I getting up to point it out? Wow that would take a lot of effort, I’d have to put this piece of food down, move my chair, walk over, bend over, pick up that money, say “Excuse me”, do a little chasing, “I think you dropped this”…By the time all that lazed it’s way through my head, she was gone.

I felt that because I had witnessed this and failed to do anything, I couldn’t pick up the money. So I waited to see how long it would take for someone to notice it and pick it up. I was expecting it to take about a minute. I think it took about 3 minutes, and the guy who did pick it up looked strangely guilty. I wonder if he also saw what had happened…

3 comments:

revswife said...

Oh dear...what to do? I would not have wanted to do any chasing either. BUT I sure as heck would have made myself somehow be in possesion of that five dollars!

Evey said...

I hear ya on this, sometimes you just dont want to be nice. I must agree with Lori though, I would have had to have had that 5 bucks! lol

thephoenixnyc said...

batman says don't worru about it, you'll get it next time,you learned from the experience