Monday, June 06, 2005

being canadian

So there are the inductions to the Canadian Walk of fame on TV tonight. I have seen two of the speeches from the inductees. Alanis Morrisette talked about how she thinks it's great to be from the greatest country in the world to be from. Kiefer Sutherland talked about how nervous he was because he felt like this was so personal (I guess it's easy to accept a golden globe???). As I listen to Paul Anka sing "it's my life" (I'd forgotten he wrote that song...and did you know that Jason Bateman is his son in law?), I wonder about Canadian patriotism.

It's often said that we may not know what we are, but we know what we're not...American. That makes me a little sad. I am definitely a proud Canadian, but what does that mean? Sometimes I feel like as Canadians we feel like we have some sort of moral superiority...yet we shun what we feel is the attitude of superiority that Americans seem to exude.

I just don't know...I have a love hate relationship with my country. I love that as a woman I can strive to be what I want to be. I don't have to worry about the repercussions of pissing off one of my male family members. I have plenty of food. We have more potable water in this country than most of the world does combined...and yet I don't feel like we help enough.
I don't feel like we accept the responsibility that comes along with being so rich.

Ok, so none of that really makes lots of sense. That's too bad. I think I have some intelligent things to say about this, but it's just not coming out right. Perhaps I need more practice.

6 comments:

The Rev said...

I have nothing intelligent to write.

Why did Tom Green say "Alanis Morrisette is here" 3 times within the first 3 minutes of the show? Did you catch that when you saw it? I'm not kidding, it happened.

K said...

I missed all of Tom Green actually. Wait...I saw his sign off which was just "thanks for coming out" or something like that. Maybe he has a thing for Alanis...or even better, for Ryan Renolds...I'm sure he was there, he's her Yoko Ono

thephoenixnyc said...

I love Canadians. They are generally smart, world-aware, progressive and friendly.

The only bad I see in Canadian society is the ever present duality of their superiority-inferiority complex regarding the US.

K said...

It's as if we feel the US is our looser big brother...
We feel like we know we're better, yet we need the approval and still feel like we're not quite there yet. I'm not sure if that's the right analogy or not. But it's something like that. We need the approval, but seem to look down our noses at the same time.

thephoenixnyc said...

I think there was a Canadian politician last week who upbraided Canucks for being "too smug" in regard to the US.

K said...

and by forgotten he WROTE that song (when referring to paul anka) i think i meant "COVERED" goodness...i suck.