Wednesday, May 04, 2005

the amazing race 7 -episode 10

Apparently they called this one “the devil made me do it”…due to Kelly saying that as she drew all over Rob and Amber’s faces at the Yield. I prefer to call it “Mr. and Mrs. Olderson go to London”. I’m not sure why…perhaps it’s because Gretchen seemed so happy to be there.
This episode involved flights to London, a trip to Abbey Road, the London Eye, Riddles or Boats, driving a double decker bus through some cones and a not so race to the mat.

In order of arrival at the bathmat:
Romber: This team has such good luck. When they do come in first, they get fabulous prizes…what’s with that. The two legs Uchenna and Joyce have come in first, they get nothing…Romber has two trips, a home entertainment system…not to mention the 1.25 million dollars the two of them won on Survivor. Oh yeah, and I’m guessing Mark Burnett paid for their wedding so that he could televise it. Anyway…they managed to secure a good flight: Istanbul-Frankfurt-London that got them in 2 hours ahead of the obvious Istanbul-London flight. They did risk a little by not having confirmed tickets to London, but of course it worked out for them. They found a guy in London to help them find their clues…and that of course worked out well for them. Rob was frustrated driving the bus, but I’m pretty sure he did it in fewer tries than the rest of the teams. Ooh, and they decided to yield Ron and Kelly…not sure why, maybe because they thought the Roadblock would take a long time? I think there will be a collective groan if they win.

POW/Queen: They also managed to get the same flight as Romber. They also managed to get a lot of money because they didn’t seem to be worried about it at all. You did see them doing a lot of begging, but it must have been quite successful. Anyway, they seemed to be navigating London quite well…and chose the detour I wanted to see…the Sherlock Holmes themed scavenger hunt type thing through London. Instead of taking the tube to the bus roadblock, they took a cab…and well, in London traffic, it took an hour. So that was their big time loser. Kelly did the task because Ron had already done 5 of his 6 allowed tasks. She of course struggled and Ron made a rude women drivers comment. Once the task was finished he then bragged about how good he would have been at it because he is trained to pilot expensive vehicles…he even said “lets go back, I’ll show you that I can do it in one, maybe two tries. I’d like to see it Ron. But they’re still in the race. We found out that Kelly is now thinking that maybe Ron is NOT the person she wants to marry…this theme I think is continued through to next week. Poor poor make-up-less Kelly.

Uchenna and Joyce: They didn’t want to risk a tough connection so they took the direct flight. That put them two hours behind the top two teams. Hmm…I don’t have much to say about them this leg except that they seem to be lacking a certain killer instinct. Uchenna…when it’s a race and you are fighting it out not to be last, don’t help the team that is behind you. That’s just stupid. They chose Brawn instead of Brains so they had to move boats instead of run around searching for Sherlock Holmes. They did pretty well at that. Joyce had to do the bus task…and they arrived as Kelly was still trying to do it (not sure how long the Yield was, but that was where Ron and Kelly had to wait it out and then try the busses) and Uchenna thought that meant they’d pass them…silly Uchenna. They finished and then had a hard time finding a cab to go to the mat…or so the editing wanted us to think. Who knows how long they actually were. But hey, they’re in the top three and now it’s just a race to the million.

Last and Philiminated…
The Oldersons: Well, they had a good run. Here is one of the reasons they were last this leg: when you’re in your seventies and you have the choice between Brains and Brawn, wouldn’t you choose Brains? Oh wait, these are the people that made mistake after mistake when it came to using brains and common sense…Who knows, maybe if they had chosen brains, they would have beat Uchenna and Joyce. But then again, maybe not. They have now been Philiminated. But boy did they enjoy London…and the race. Kudos to them for making it this far. They had a lot of luck, but you can’t knock their never give up attitude… I’m just glad I don’t have to listen to her voice being shrill again (though this was an ok episode for it…she kept the shrillness to a minimum). They survived a lot through the course of the race. Hooray for the Oldersons.

Next week is the final episode. I heard rumours of Vancouver as one of the destinations. Wherever they go, they’re jumping off a bridge into a river…and it looks like Amber twists her ankle…now judging from the light, it’s quite early in the morning, so it could be at one of the last tasks and maybe Rob is carrying her to the end. We also see Joyce crying about not making a flight…what’s going to happen….I don’t know. Seriously though...a collective TAR-watcher groan if Romber wins...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will not be happy if Amber and Rob win this race, but I have a feeling they will win. I find both of them annoying and very rude. Maybe next week they will make a huge mistake that will cost them the game.
I really find Ron and Kelly annoying, and they are very rude to each other. I saw on the preveiw for next week, with her saying she loves Ron and his comment is he's not ready for that.
I really want Uchenna and Joyce to win this race, maybe they won't make too many mistakes and take a risk.
I have alot of respect for the old couple. I did find her voice annoying too but they were the first old couple to make it as far as they could.

thephoenixnyc said...

Hey there. I can't comment on Amazing Race because I don't watch it, rather I wanted to thank you for stopping by my blog while I was posting from China.

I couldn't respond from China (wasn't being rude) but I got back yesterday.

I look forward to getting to know you better.

Cheers.

thephoenixnyc

K said...

Thanks phoenix...I quite enjoyed hearing about your travels in China. It seems so increadibly foreign, more so than most countries

thephoenixnyc said...

You nailed it. Its not like traveling in Europe or South America. EVERYTHING is so completely different. Takes some getting used to.